Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Miss South Carolina Teen USA Explains Herself

Miss Teen USA pageant participant, YouTube became a sensation after butchering a question about why many Americans can not find the U.S. on a world map, said she was struck by her appearance on the television and chalks up the experience to be a "man."


Today in Matt Lauer and Ann Curry gave Caitlin Upton a do-present a notorious issue in an exclusive interview Tuesday. And this time the 18-year-old native of South Carolina had nailed it.

But first Upton was forced to relive the moment it is likely never to forget. She saw how embarrassing video for the first time with Lauer and Curry, and can only shudder and laugh.

"I'm sitting here laughing at myself," she said cheerfully. "Is that me?" It's like I'm not in my own body. "

Upton admitted that she totally froze on national television last Friday during the Miss Teen USA Pageant. When asked why the fifth of Americans can not find the U.S. on a world map, she muttered a response that did the worst "Paula Abdul American Idol" moment seem to model convincingly.

Her answer, in general, was: "I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uhmmm, some people are there in our nation do not have maps and, well, I think that I, as such entities and, well , South Africa, as well, Iraq, everywhere like such as and I believe they should, Uhhh, our education system here in the U.S. should help the U.S., and should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and Asian countries, so , we can build our future for us. "
Caught unawares
The question clearly caught Upton by surprise. She explained that she was so taken aback Tuesday when she barely heard the question.
"Everything came to me immediately," she said. "And I made a mistake - everybody makes mistakes - I'm a man. Right when the question was asked me, I was shocked ... I would love to once again answer that question."

Curry obliged to read the whole question, as it was raised during the competition. This time, Upton was ready.

"Personally, I and my friends, we know exactly where the United States on the map," she said. "I do not know anyone who does not. If statistics are correct, I believe we should pay more attention to geography in our education so people will learn to read maps better."

She returned later in the show, to deliver a perfect explanation of lunar eclipses.

Held on the Internet, as a typical dumb blonde, Upton honor high school student who played football in college 4 years. This summer she went to Germany with an elite soccer team that won second place in the tournament involving teams from several European countries. In her junior and senior classes, she was president of his school of SkillsUSA, which describes itself as "a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America's skilled workforce."

She enjoys the gap between high school and college, pursue modeling opportunities. Advertising is a model for were placed in magazines such as the national "B", "Cosmo Girl" and "American Cheerleader". She has modeled for Wrangler, Soffe and Nautica.

She said that she entered Miss Teen USA pageant, which is co-owned by Donald Trump and NBC Universal, in particular, to improve communication skills. Despite her attack of brain lock on the geography question, she finished fourth in the competition, who won the Miss Teen Colorado Hilary Carol Cruz.

Upton long-term goals include admission to Appalachian State University specialty graphic design. After graduation, she wants to study special effects at the International Academy of Design Technology in Los Angeles and start a career creating special effects for film and television.

"I'm 18", she said. "I think I have a very strong man with strong character, and my parents raised me really well."

Curry and Lauer assured her that the one who does live makes verbal list of mistakes, and that they often ask that they sometimes say during broadcasts.