Friday, June 25, 2010

Lakers To Ebanks West Virginia

LOS ANGELES:Fresh off their 16th NBA championship a week earlier, the Los Angeles Lakers selected forward Devin Ebanks from West Virginia in the second round of Thursday's NBA draft with with No. 43 overall pick.
ESPNLosAngeles.com For more about the Lakers, plus coverage of the complete Los Angeles sports scene, visit ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The 6-foot-9, 215-pound Ebanks played two seasons with the Mountaineers and had a career average of 11.2 points per game. He was named to the All-Big East Conference third team last season, and made the Big East All-Rookie and All-Tournament teams as a freshman.
Lakers chose Derrick taste, 6-9 forward from Texas, El Paso, with the number 58 overall selection.

"I'm so happy now, you do not understand," Ebanks said during a telephone conference with reporters. "I get to play with the best player in the world, Kobe Bryant."

Ebanks also stated that has no problem focusing on defense.

"That's what I'm doing," he said. "I take defense very seriously, and I take it personally."

For the Queens native, joined the Lakers also means reunification with the players he had known for many years.

"Lamar Odom, my uncle grew up with him," said Ebanks. 'He's one of my neighbors. Ron Artest right there. I live two minutes from Artest, Ron, and 10 minutes from Lamar, so I see these guys all the time. Being able to play with them great opportunities. "

As the second round to choose, there is no guarantee Ebanks will make the final roster, much less see a lot of time to prepare his team looking to win a third championship. The value is part of an elite team, however, was not lost on Ebanks.

"I have a whole bunch of things to learn about the NBA. And what better team to have it than the Lakers? Ebanks said. "I play for the best team in the world right now. I will go there and learn from some veterans. Hoping that my career will take off from there.